Thursday, July 17, 2008

the first week

Well I am having the time of my life. Just to put that in detail, I have made friends with so many amazing people from 22 different countries. It's such a great experience being with people from all these different cultures. i have learned so much about them.
This week we have been working on the show. We had modules Tuesday and Wednesday. We were put into groups of like 10 and we had to sing, dance, learn about the technical things, public speaking and show them our costumes. So far i have done so many activities that have taught me to come out of my box. I'm usually a very shy person around a large number of people. I still have been a little shy, but slowly i am opening myself up to people. I sung in front of people, which is something i thought i would NEVER see myself doing. The past two days we have been learning our dances and songs for the show. It's been hard because i have never danced like this before and its quite a workout. I'm not use to it. Especially getting up at 6 am. I have been extremely tired the past couple mornings. I'm sure it will get better though because i think I'm still getting use to my new schedule.

My host family is by far the best ever. They are very special and i am very lucky to get to live with them for a month. I already know its going to be the hardest goodbye i have ever had to make. But i have already decided i am coming back to visit them and they are coming to North Carolina :] Gwen and i have the greatest conversations in the morning with our host day, Brad, on the way to work and the Sherman center. He told us about how great his father was and how he was such a giving man and how motivated he was. I really wish i could have met his mother and father. They both sound like very interesting and greatful people! Just listening to Brad talk about his mother and father made me realize how special my parents are to me and how much they care about me. Brad mentioned that one of the main reasons they decided to host up with people students is because of his parents. He said that he feels as if he needed to give something back to his parents. So he chose to open his home to two students, Gwen and i. I feel so obligated because of this and i feel special. I'm glad Gwen and i got to be the two students to stay with them :]
I just wanted to share with you something very special that my host father shared with me. Brad's father Peter had some of the most incredible thoughts and they are random acts of kindness..for Pete's sake. Well Brad and his brother both decided to keep those random acts of kindness going and so i just wanted to share with everyone one of those cards:]

In memory of Peter G. Duin 1925-2006
Random Acts Of Kindness...For Pete's Sake
"This is the day the lord has made Rejoice! And be glad in it.
You can, Make a Difference!

How to be a Winner

1. Be more for-giving and less for getting.
2. Communicate a happy positive attitude to others.
3. Smile for others. Be happy, put laughter in your life.
4. Take a Genuine interest in others by listening with a keen sensitive ear.
5. Find and say something positive to every person you meet.
6. Do something special for someone each day that they may not be able to.
7. Be generous with your time and talents in helping others.
8. Be praise minded. Compliment and recognize achievement.
9. be creative. Stretch your imagination.
10. Strive to Learn something new every day.

Do It Now!
Be decisive and action oriented.

Thanks to the best host Dad EVER for sharing this wonderful gift:]

1 comment:

Erma's People said...

Hi Kelly! We miss you already at Christ Church! I posted your blog address on the e-news this week. So glad you've set up this cyber place for your notes so we can follow along. What an exciting time in your life! Soak up all you can about the various cultures, as it is likely God has given you this opportunity for a reason. Have a wonderful time and keep those thoughts coming. You are a very special gal! Love, Linda Keeter